Cold, crunchy cucumbers are exactly what I want to eat on a hot summer day. Even better if you have some ready to pick fresh from your garden. This apple cucumber salad is light, healthy, tasty and really easy to prepare. The miso dressing gives it a nice salty, umami punch that pairs well with the toasted sesame seeds and crispy granny smith apples. And the best part is it can be made in less than 20 minutes so it’s a good candidate for any weeknight dinner.
What to Pair with the Apple Cucumber Salad?
I like to eat this cucumber salad with grilled fish because the charred flavours match well with the light and refreshing taste of cucumbers. Throw in a small potato salad and you’ve got yourself a full dinner.
The apple cucumber salad’s best friends are:
- A big plate of fried chicken
- Steamed broccoli
- Fried rice
- BBQ Salmon, whole fish, or tuna
- Grilled steak
- Late night snack?
- Japanese food
- Toast the sesame seeds yourself for a much better flavour.
- A super small addition of xanthan gum stops the dressing from splitting, but can be omitted.
Dutch Cucumber Time
There is an expression in Dutch, komkommertijd, which directly translates to “cucumber time.” You can use this phrase to describe the quiet time in the summer when everyone is on vacation and not much is going on in the city.
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 whole granny smith apple
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ tsp salt
For the Dresssing
- 1 tbsp miso paste preferably white miso
- 3 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 1/16 tsp xanthan gum a super small amount
- 5 tbsp neutral oil peanut oil, sunflower, canola oil work well
- Peel the cucumbers into a stripe pattern. Cut into small cubes as shown.
- Add the ½ tsp of salt to the cucumbers and mix in a bowl. Place over a colander/strainer for 10 minutes to let some of the water drain off.
- Mix all of the ingredients together for the dressing and blend in a food processor or whisk in a bowl thoroughly.
- Toast the sesame seeds on a sheet tray for about 8 minutes @ 190°C/375°F
- Dice the apple into cubes the same size as the cucumber. Add to the cucumbers and mix with the dressing. Add half of dressing and mix. Taste. If you would like more dressing, then add more. Finish the salad with the toasted sesame seeds on top. Enjoy!