This strawberry salad is inspired from my time spent cooking in Paris.
When I was working there I was introduced to the gorgeous combination of strawberries and peas together. And it’s pretty convenient that they are both in season around the same time.
Summer or Spring Salad?
Depending on where you live, this could actually be more of a spring salad but here in Maastricht we can still find nice strawberries and peas in July. Either way this salad is super delicious during the warmer months and my favourite way to enjoy fresh peas and strawberries. It’s fresh, healthy, gluten free and vegan.
Make This Lemon Vinaigrette First
This recipe uses my lemon vinaigrette recipe. Make this before starting with this recipe.
Strawberry, Pea, Basil and Pistachio Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- 6 whole strawberries tops picked
- 150 g sugar snap peas about 2 handfuls
- 150 g fresh peas about 2 handfuls
- 50 g pistachios about 2 tbsp
- 1 head gem lettuce
- ½ bunch basil small leaves picked
- 3 tbsp citrus dressing Click on the link to go to the recipe
- salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the sugar snaps by cutting slightly at the top with a pairing knife and pulling to remove the stringy part of the vegetable. Do this on both sides and if it doesn't come off easily don't worry about it.
- Click off the leaves of the gem lettuce and cut into quarters. Soak in ice water for at least 5 minutes.
- Get a large pot of water boiling and salt it heavily. It should taste as salty as the sea. Get another ice bath ready. Blanch the vegetables for 1 minute.
- Refresh in ice water and stir to cool them quickly.
- Dry off the blanched vegetables on a towel.
- Place everything in a big bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper. Add the dressing and carefully mix. I use my hands to mix but you can use a spoon if you'd like.
- Serve on a big plate to share or plate separately.