This dish starts with very tasty zucchini that are gently fried in a sage and garlic flavoured oil and finished with fresh lemon. It’s a perfect side dish to eat anytime of the year that’s healthy and tasty. This dish is inspired from my time spent in Tuscany where the combination of sage and garlic is used religiously. It’s very simple so it must be cooked perfectly in order to truly shine.
It’s Quality Time
Try to find the best quality of zucchini for this dish as it is so simple and has nothing to hide. If you have zucchini from your garden or an heirloom variety from the local farmer’s market this is time to use it. The simplicity of this recipe means you give full respect to your vegetables and allows the subtle flavour of the zucchini to shine.
Zucchinis are not only delicious, they’re nutritious. With high amounts of vitamin A, rich in antioxidants and loaded with both soluble and insoluble fiber. It’s also a great low carb option for those looking to reduce sugar and carbs in their diet.
Another great thing about the simplicity of this dish is that almost anyone can eat it. It’s vegan, low carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, keto and very healthy.
Zucchini with Garlic, Sage and Fresh Lemon
- 1 large zucchini
- 60 ml olive oil extra virgin
- 1 bunch fresh sage leaves picked
- ½ piece lemon zest and juice
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- Crush the garlic and place in a big frying pan with the olive oil. Gently bring the oil to a medium temperature and fry the garlic until golden brown. The most important stage here is to carefully fry the garlic until it is golden without burning the garlic or the oil. If you burn either, start again as it will taste horrible. Once the garlic is browned, discard.
- Once the oil is hot and the garlic nicely browned, begin to fry your sage leaves in batches until crispy. Set on paper towel to drain the excess oil and season with salt immediately.
- Now you should have a beautiful sage and garlic oil. Gently fry the zucchini in the oil, being careful again not to burn the oil. You want a nice golden colour and the zucchini to be soft.
- Once the zucchini are cooked, zest ½ lemon and juice into the pan . Carefully remove the zucchini from the pan and drain on paper towel. To serve, place the courgettes nicely on the plate, drizzle the flavoured oil over the vegetables and top with the crispy sage.Enjoy with a bit of crusty sourdough bread.