If you like olives then you’ll probably LOVE this olive spread.
It’s the perfect salty, umami-loaded olive spread to eat while you prepare dinner or are getting ready to go out.
Olive tapenade is quick to prepare, super simple and a recipe every olive-lover must have in their recipe box.
Here’s a no-fail recipe for an olive spread that’s quick and perfect for apéro.
Use this Olive Spread for Apéro
If you hang around French people long enough you might start to hear the word apéro.
We hear this word whenever we visit our Belgian friends from the French side. It’s just a fancy word for snacks before the meal but the idea of it is great. Everyone meets (usually at someone’s home) for chips, or little snacks with bread and a nice drink.
It’s a perfect way to sneak in some snacks and a quick drink before the meal starts or while you’re cooking dinner.
Tips for the Best Olive Spread
- Always buy olives with the pit still inside because the flavour is much better than pitted olives.
- Buy the nicest olives and olive oil you can find.
- Mix in some anchovies for a little more umami.
Try Adding These Ingredients to Level Up Your Olive Spread
- Sundried tomatoes.
- Anchovies & Capers.
- Smoked paprika.
- Fennel seed.
- Fresh oregano.
- 200 g kalamata olives 1½ cups
- ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley
- ½ piece shallot peeled
- 60 g olive oil ¼ cup
- ½ piece clove of garlic peeled
- ¼ tsp chili
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice + zest
- De-seed the olives by pushing them against the cutting board with something heavy like a pan.
- Slice the shallot into a small dice. Zest the garlic and lemon into a bowl. Pick the parsley leaves from the stems.
- Add all the ingredients together and pulse but don't over-purée.
- Check the seasoning if it needs more lemon or salt to your preference.
- Serve with a crusty baguette and a good glass of wine.