I actually prefer this vegan Nutella to the original (and I’m not even lactose-intolerant anymore!)
As I have a weakness for ANYTHING chocolate, this chocolate hazelnut spread really hits the spot with an even more intense chocolatey flavour than the original.
Store-bought Nutella is usually cut with milk, cream, emulsifiers, preservatives and/or palm oil to keep it shelf-stable for a long time.
A long shelf-life is always a plus, but it’s not that important when you know that your freshly made pot of homemade chocolate hazelnut spread will be *devoured* before the end of the week.
Plus this recipe is completely vegan! Plants are healthy right? (I keep telling myself that…).
All you need is some good quality dark chocolate, hazelnuts and a little salt and sugar to get going…
Why Not Just Buy Vegan Nutella?
Well of course you can, but this chocolate hazelnut spread is BETTER than Nutella (yes, you heard that right).
The results are rich and delicious with an intense toasted hazelnut flavour that you won’t find in any store-bought spread.
And if you do find a high-quality vegan Nutella somewhere, you’ll likely pay a lot more than you would for a batch of the homemade stuff.
But one of the biggest draws to this recipe is that it’s super EASY!
You can basically just whip everything in the blender and call it a day.
What Can You Use Vegan Nutella With?
- A chocolate-hazelnut stuffed crepe is the winner for me.
- Or mix it with chopped nuts and bananas to make a quick dessert.
- Spread it over cakes, cookies and brownies.
- Use it on toast.
- Pancakes! (Or thin this out a little more to make vegan crepes!)
- Banana bread.
- These Vegan Brownies.
How Long Does Vegan Nutella Last?
This vegan Nutella keeps for about 1 week at room temperature (about 21°C).
If you store it in the fridge it will harden like cold butter and you will have to melt it again over a water bath.
You can prevent this by adding a little neutral oil to the spread while blending. You’ll lose a bit of the intensity of the chocolate but it may be a fair trade-off for something a little more spreadable the next day.
More Vegan Desserts to Try
- These Vegan Banana Pancakes.
- These EPIC Vegan Brownies.
- These EASY Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Truffels.
- This Intense Strawberry Sauce with Lime (Vegan).
- This Super Quick Vegan Chocolate Avocado Mousse.
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread – Vegan Nutella
- 100 g hazelnuts peeled
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 75 g dark chocolate high quality, 70% or higher
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Set the oven temperature to 190°C/375°F.
- Toast the hazelnuts until a deep dark brown colour is formed. Approx. 8 minutes. Immediately transfer the toasted hazelnuts off the hot tray to a plate to cool. Add the salt while they are still hot.
- Heat up a small pan with high sides and fill ⅓ with water (make a double boiler). Chop the chocolate roughly and place it in a metal bowl. Heat the bowl of chocolate over the hot water to gently melt it. (Bain-marie)
- Once the hazelnuts are toasted blitz them while they're still hot with the sugar in the food processor until a hazelnut butter is formed. Add the melted chocolate and continue to blend.
- Store in a sealed mason jar at room temperature for up to 3 days. Enjoy!