These vegan “Ferrero Rocher” chocolate truffles make an easy but impressive Valentine’s day gift.
The best part?
You don’t have to be a pastry chef to make them!
They can be made the same day with just a few hours needed to cool them.
Why You Need to Try These
Probably the best thing about these is that they can be made pretty quickly, they’re vegan and you don’t even have to temper chocolate.
They’re just 3 ingredients – pistachio paste, cocoa powder and puréed dates. The result is an intense pistachio flavour, a soft chocolate interior and a smooth texture from the dates.
And I know calling these vegan chocolates “Ferrero Rocher” is a bit of a stretch because they don’t have a chocolate shell.
But you could always dip them in melted chocolate first, to create that classic chocolate shell.
Can I Make These in Advance?
Yes! Store them in a sealed container in the fridge for up to one week.
Can I Use Different Garnishes?
You can certainly experiment with different flavours to garnish the truffles.
You could replace the pistachio with almost any other nut. Try these other nuts to make these chocolates your own:
- Macadamia nuts
You can also try rolling them in chocolate shavings, or cocoa powder or dip them in melted chocolate for something more similar to Ferrero rocher chocolate.
If you do decide to dip them in chocolate you will most likely want to temper the chocolate to achieve a nice coating.
Can I Omit the Sugar?
Yes of course.
I think 1 tbsp of brown sugar added to these truffles is the perfect amount of sweetness but you may not agree.
Swap out the brown sugar for maple syrup, honey or agave or leave it out entirely as the dates are also pretty sweet.
What Tools Do I Need?
Pistachio “Ferrero Rocher” – Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- 100 g dates, pitted
- 150 g pistachios, shelled 100g for the paste, 50g for garnish
- 4 tbsp neutral oil peanut oil or sunflower oil
- 10 g cocoa powder (about 2 tbsp) plus some for garnish
- 1 tbsp brown sugar optional
- Toast the pistachios in the oven for 4 minutes @ 190°C/375°F. Measure out 100g for the paste and 50g for the garnish later.
- Boil the dates in water for about 5 minutes. Drain and discard the water.
- Blend the 50g of pistachios in a food processor or high powered blender into small pieces and set aside for later.Blend the rest of the pistachios (100g) with the 4 tbsp of oil for about 5 minutes or until a smooth paste is formed. If using a blender, blend on low speed and use a spatula to scrape the sides down frequently.
- Add the cocoa powder and brown sugar. Blend until mixed.
- Add the boiled dates and blend on low until it comes together. Be careful not to overwork the blender as the mixture is very thick. Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll the chocolates into little balls by rubbing them between the palms of your hands.
- Roll the chocolates in the ground pistachios or cocoa powder. Store the chocolates in a sealed container in the fridge for up to one week.