These white sweet potatoes are slowly cooked over charcoal with butter and maple. I then grill them over the fire to give them a bit of smokiness and later finish them with a good sprinkling of sesame seeds. BUTTER and MAPLE, need I say more?
Try this recipe out the next time you fire up the grill and are looking for something other than the usual foil-wrapped baked potato.
White vs Orange
What’s the difference between white sweet potatoes and orange ones? White sweet potatoes are a little less sweet than the orange variety and have a crumbly-like texture. The orange variety is generally fluffier and makes a nicer mash while the white variety is great for grilling and roasting.
How Can I Make this Vegan?
I used butter in this recipe but you could replace the butter with olive oil or non-aromatic coconut oil to make a nice vegan alternative.
You can also substitute orange sweet potatoes in this if you can’t find the white variety, but I definitely prefer the white variety for this recipe as they hold their shape better.
More Smoker + BBQ Recipes
- This Epic Reverse Seared Smoked Ribeye with Umami Butter
- These Legendary Smoked Chicken Thighs
- My Ultimate Smoked Mac and Cheese
- This No-Fail Grilled Spatchcock Chicken
- These Epic Traeger Smoked Burgers
- This Awesome Smoked and Grilled Corn on the Cob
- These Epic Braised and Grilled Ribs (Not smoked)
- These Easy Charcoal Grilled Chicken Satays
- These Deliciously Sweet and Smokey Leeks with Raz el Hanout
- This Awesome BBQ Bloody Mary Cocktail
White Sweet Potatoes with Maple + Sesame
- Charcoal grill
- 2 white sweet potatoes large
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- salt and pepper
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes and cut into thick wedges as shown in the picture. Add the butter, maple and season generously with salt and pepper. Wrap with a double layer of tin foil.
- Cook the sweet potatoes over medium heat for about 25-30 minutes or until soft when poked with a knife.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the tin foil and save the butter that's left over to finish the sweet potatoes later. Grill over high heat until nicely coloured on both sides (about 5-10 minutes).
- Brush the finished sweet potatoes with the leftover butter/maple and sprinkle generously with sesame seeds. Share on a big plate. Enjoy
Is it time for new knives? Then definitely check out my ultimate guide to The Best High End Knife Sets and Why I’ll Never Buy a Cutco Knife Set.
4 thoughts on “A White Sweet Potato Recipe with Maple, Butter + Sesame”
these go with everything!
Maple anything right? Thanks!
So good 😊